01254 589799

End of Tax Year Preparation
End of Tax Year Preparation


Going it alone and starting your own business can often present something of a culture shock when it comes to admin, especially if you’ve come from an environment where your employer took care of everything on your behalf.

Terms of which you were only previously vaguely aware, such as ‘tax years’, ‘financial years’ and ‘bookkeeping’, suddenly take on a whole new significance as you realise that all of this is now your responsibility.

Your aim as a business owner is to keep on top of everything, to ensure that you’re not bogged down with paperwork and that you’re not involved in any last-minute scrambles to meet tax deadlines. Headaches are easily avoidable so long as you’re prepared.

Here we focus on the end of tax year, what it means for an up-and-coming business and how you should prepare for it.



What does ‘end of tax year’ actually mean?


When you see the phrase ‘tax year’ the chances are that it’s referring to the personal tax year, which runs from April 6th - April 5th the following year.

Typically, business owners start out as sole traders or partners in a partnership. Here the taxman treats you as a self-employed individual and you are required to register as such.

In practical terms, the end of the tax year then means you will be sent a notice requiring you to file an income tax Self Assessment tax return for that particular tax year.

You have until October 31st to file a paper return and up to January 31st to file online.



Becoming a limited company


There’s a strong likelihood that it will soon become the right move to start operating your business as a limited company.

By setting up a company, you are effectively creating a separate legal ‘person’, which is taxed separately from you and any co-owners of the business.



Corporation tax


With this comes potential liability for a further tax, known as Corporation Tax, which adds a further set of dates to the mix.

The tax year for Corporation Tax is called the ‘financial year’ or ‘fiscal year’ and runs from April 1st - March 31st.

When new Corporation Tax rates, reliefs and credits are announced, they almost always come into force at the beginning of a fiscal year.

As a director of the company, the end of the personal tax year is remains relevant, especially if part of your pay package consists of dividends from the company, which are liable for income tax.

All company directors are required to complete a personal tax return each year.



Income tax and end of the tax year: how should I prepare?


Think of getting prepared as an ongoing process rather than something that has to be dealt with all in one go at the end of the tax year, or when the payment deadline looms on the horizon. Here’s what you should be thinking about:


File your paperwork as it arrives (rather than having to sort through it from scratch at the end of the tax year) - self-employed business owners are taxed on their business profits after deductions for expenses. For this to be assessed accurately you need to be able to track each and every transaction your business is involved in. A simple lever arch file subdivided into ‘incoming’ and ‘outgoing’ with documents stored in date order can make all the difference in terms of time wasted on hunting down that missing order form at the end of the tax year.


Think smart about bookkeeping- in the early days especially, a simple spreadsheet may be all that’s required to give you an at-a-glance overview on what’s happening with transactions. However, as activity increases and bookkeeping starts to eat into more of your valuable time, this may be your cue to invest in a dedicated invoicing and accounting software solution. Along with our highly regarded accountancy services, Gow & Partners offers the likes of Xero and QuickBooks to clients at a heavily discounted price.


Deductions: get everything in place early to avoid losing your entitlement - travel costs, using your home as an office, phone bills, overdrafts, capital allowances on equipment and even wining and dining prospective clients: don’t leave it until the first week in April to start thinking about how much you’ve actually spent on nurturing your business over the last year.


Cash basis accounting - if your income is £82,000 or less you can choose to work out your income and expenses for your Self Assessment tax return through cash basis accounting. For this, you must keep records of all business income and expenses throughout the tax year. One benefit of this is that you are only taxed on income you have actually received during the tax year and not on invoices that have been issued, but have not yet been paid.


Simplified expenses - for business vehicle costs, working from home and living in your business premises, sole traders and partnerships can also use simplified expenses: a system of flat rates for calculating costs in these areas. Throughout the tax year record, your business miles and the hours you work at home and then at the end of the tax year apply these flat rates to work out your expenses.



Contact Gow & Partners


As your business grows, as transactions become more complex and you consider taking on staff, expert accountancy advice can help save you money in the long run.

Simply call 01254 589799.

Alternatively, you can fill in a contact form, or send us an email at info@gowandpartners.co.uk.